Component 1: Master's Degree
Over three years, 100 school leaders will have the opportunity to earn their M.Ed. in educational administration, Texas ESL teacher certification (Exam #154), and principal certification (Exam #268), in preparation to lead campuses and influence policy in districts that serve diverse learners, particularly those with English learners (ELs) and low-income schools. Out of the 100 members of the cohort group, 50 will be randomly assigned to a summer leadership residency experience that includes virtual mentoring and coaching, and a strategic planning and implementation of a community engagement model for a summer program for K-2 students. They will carry out all logistics of summer school working with the school campus principal and parents. The other 50 members of the cohort group will participate in a traditional leadership practicum.
We are recruiting current in-service teachers who are EC-6 Texas-certified and who are serving on high-need campuses inclusive of ELs. We highly recommend at least two years of full-time classroom teaching experience and a desire to continue to serve on high-need campuses. The first cohort is projected to start summer 2019, and there are only 100 seats for this cohort.
The program is formatted as an online cohort model with an accelerated pace of four semesters (including summer), and participants may remain in a full-time teaching role. Project APLUS will provide a tuition scholarship ranging from $9,000 to $20,000 upon program completion.
The application deadline is December 1, 2018.
How to Apply
- Complete the ApplyTexas application. You will be applying for Educational Administration, M.Ed. in Fall 2018.
- You will need to submit:
- A nonrefundable $65 application fee (domestic applicants); $90 application fee (international applicants)
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. These will be sent directly to the Graduate Admissions Office.
- Three letters of professional recommendation (district director of bilingual education, principal, qualified bilingual/ESL teachers)*
- Statement of intent (why you wish to pursue this program, career goals, past leadership experiences; please note you are applying for Project A-PLUS in the statement)*
- Professional resume*
- TEA Certificate & TEA ID number*
*These items must be uploaded into your account in the Applicant Information System (AIS), which is created two business days after the ApplyTexas application is submitted.
GRE scores are not required.
Contact: Elsa Villarreal, Component 1 Coordinator