Agustin Lara, a bilingual education doctoral student and teacher, will trade his classroom for the world this summer.

Lara will visit Singapore as part of the MSC L.T. Jordan Institute for International Awareness & Living Abroad Program from July 5 to Aug. 18, 2012.

Lara is a fifth grade dual language teacher with Bryan Independent School District, where he has taught for 15 years.

The experience will give Lara with the opportunity to work in an international setting. He has requested to be placed in a rural elementary school, so that he can experience the educational system in Singapore.

“I’m hoping to learn a great deal about the Singaporean history, culture, music, dance and educational system, among other things. At the same time, I would like them to learn about my American and Hispanic culture,” Lara said.

He hopes to share his experience once he returns to Texas.

“Once I’m back, I would like to share all my knowledge gained from this great and unique experience with my students, classmates, coworkers, school administrators, professors and my community,” he added.