Year 1 — Grade 3 Curriculum Interventions
Treatment I – Content Reading In Science for English Language and Literacy Acquisition (CRISELLA)
Content Reading In Science for English Language and Literacy Acquisition (CRISELLA) incorporates English language learning and literacy skills through the use of expository science text using the 5E lesson plan model, including at least three of the five E’s daily:
- Engage-making connections between past and present learning, helps focus students’ learning
- Explore-provides students with common base of experience through manipulating materials or exploring the environment
- Explain-students verbalize understandings, teachers introduce formal definitions and explanations for concepts
- Elaborate-students develop deeper and broader understandings by practicing skills extending learning
- Evaluate-students and teachers evaluate understandings of concepts
Lessons are designed to incorporate listening, speaking, reading, and writing as students learn English vocabulary, reading, and comprehension while learning academic science concepts. Reading fluency and comprehension are supported with strategies such as sound pronunciation, partner reading and discussion of leveled questions, graphic organizers, and questioning strategies.
Lessons are aligned to the 3rd grade English language arts and science Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), the state English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS), Common Core, and the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) – Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCI).
Treatment II — Story retelling and higher order Thinking for English Language and Literacy Acquisition (STELLA) & Academic Oral and Written Language in Science (AOWLS)
Story retelling and higher order Thinking for English Language and Literacy Acquisition (STELLA) is a 35-minute scripted curriculum. The curriculum uses expository children’s literature in accordance with each of the 3rd grade science TEKS. One book per week is used to script the weekly lessons. STELLA is designed to include components that will help students increase their oral language and listening comprehension as well as their academic science vocabulary. The questions scripted in STELLA target the different question levels found in the Revised Bloom’s Taxonomy.
STELLA lessons are aligned to the TEKS in science and English language arts, the ELPS, the NGSS – DCI, and Common Core.
Academic Oral and Written Language in Science (AOWLS) aligns directly with science topics covered in the STELLA books. AOWLS:
- Targets academic vocabulary
- Provides sentences using words in context
- Asks a daily question using the target words
- Presents visual aids for comprehension
- Aligns to state ELPS, science TEKS, and NGSS