Project Working All Together (WAT)
This project prepares 250 in-service teachers for Texas Supplemental Certification Exams in Bilingual/ESL Education from all parts of the state through an online distance education course. It involves educating currently practicing teachers to obtain their certification in bilingual/ESL education. Additional purposes include:
- the creation of collaborative bilingual/ESL academic programs between Texas A&M University and school district participants located across the state of Texas that will continue to provide certification opportunities beyond the five year project period.
- the delineation of a distance education model for in-service teacher education that is school/community based.
- the provision of financial and academic support in the form of scholarships for individuals from groups that have not traditionally had opportunities in higher education.
- the involvement of diversity among the teacher population in the critical areas of bilingual and ESL education.
- an opportunity to participate in distance graduate level course work for newly certified bilingual/ESL teachers.
Funding provided by the U.S. Department of Education
Date of award: June 29, 2007
Dates of project: July 2, 2007- July 1, 2012